Sunday, August 28, 2011

From the Cradle to the Dorm Room

Serious discipleship, practical experience, high standards


My husband Doug and our two younger sons Wyatt and Jesse made our way to Lima NY to take our eldest child, AJ to Elim Bible Institute.  He is starting his first semester in their Year in the Son program.  Things went smoother than I anticipated.  I guess my week of meltdowns helped me be prepared for the actual parting. 
It was interesting meeting people and getting his dorm room set up. He is rooming with a boy from Baltimore, Ian Eppard. I could tell poor Ian was nervous, but he settled in just fine. He and AJ have a common interest in music.  They had several guitar jam sessions before bedtime.  AJ's excitement was amazing.  Because he already knows a handful of people attending, he seemed to have felt at home the moment we drove on campus. He also feels it is God's direction for him to attend EBI.  He has been working and saving for months. With a little help from his dad, tuition is paid for this semester.  I believe (hope) he has everything he needs.  I shutter to try and add up all the extras he needed from clothes- computer.  We stayed with him for orientation and supper.  My friend Mart was there too.  Her and her family bringing Emily.  We have known them for about 8 years so in a way they grew up together.  It was a relief for me for AJ to have someone from our church with him.
We took a different route home.  Strait down Route 20.  Although it was easier it was also a much longer ride. Too many towns and low speed limits. Taking the thruway was considerably faster, even with being lost for a about 5 minutes.
It doesn't seem that long ago that he was trying to survive third grade in a new state.  Me and my boys hung together to get through the transition. He called Central New York home a lot sooner than I did. Watching him grow from a premature infant to a mature19 year old college student has been an honor and a blessing....
My son has officially left home....
 Tonight I feel the "loss". I miss him terribly and have had a blinding headache and no energy all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment