Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Recession



I know that is not a word a lot of us want to read.  But as we look at America's failing economy what other adjective describes it so well?
I have got to get recession minded (not poverty mentality, but smart).  I have to stop looking beyond today and begin to plan if the worst happens.  We have a modest emergency saving. Probably get us through a month, two if we didn't pay utilities. But if the dollar keeps dropping at the rate it is, it won't matter how much Doug has manged to save.
So what what can I do? As the homemaker it should be my responsibility to use our grocery budget carefully.  I have always known how to cook, but there are times that I want that convenience food.  Days I spend too much time on the computer or playing with our baby and whoops it's time to cook. Growing up I remember eating beans every night. Although I enjoy them occasionally as an adult, I don't want my family to survive on dry beans and cornbread.  I do know how to stretch two hearty meals from one chicken, reuse ham, leftover roast (who am I kidding?) or any other meats.  As I plan to go to the grocery store I need to look for the items that can be used for more than one meal.
An investment in a meat grinder and slicer would be one way to save. One store always has chicken breast and boneless hams for less than two dollars a pound. Ground chicken is better for us than ground beef and slicing our own sandwich meats would save around four dollars a pound verses the grocery deli. Stock piling dry goods when on sale, I feel, is smart.  I like having enough food on hand that I don't have to worry my kids will be hungry if we are short on money.
I need to become a serious gardener. Can and freeze vegetables. I think that is something I need to plan for the next spring.  For now we have a small garden spot for squash and beans.  Tomatoes and cucumbers are grown in pots on the porch. Probably not enough to save, but to eat fresh this summer.
As far as clothing, even if I was a good seamstress I never could make anything for less than buying it. Especially when taking advantage of sales and consignment shops.
I think with a little planning I can be successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment