Monday, April 25, 2011

Nineteen Years Really?

AJ just a few days old


It is hard for me to believe that it has been 19 years since my wonderful son AJ was forced from my body 10 weeks premature.  He weighed in at a whopping 4 lbs and 10 ounces. He came from me crying, peeing (which was a good thing) and swiftly taken away to the neonatal nursery.  I barely saw him and didn't get to hold him.  I was allowed to sit in the nursery to watch him sleep and hold his hand.  To be honest I was so freaked out at his size I didn't mind waiting to cuddle him.  A few hour later he was taken from Northside Hospital to Scottish Rite Children's hospital across the street. That was out first separation and he was only a few hours old.

Three weeks, one surgery and a few pounds heavier we took our baby home. It has been an amazing journey every since. Colic, ear infections, second surgery to remove his bad kidney and close his vesicostomy. Many diapers, preschool, fun birthdays, bedtime stories, homework, little brother, big move, first crush, best friends, another crush, falling in love with God, another little brother, graduation, first job (Pastor's son), experienced the pain of losing a close friend, second job (Marquardt), making Bible college plans and preparing for a year in the mission field half a world a way from me.

Here it is, nineteen unbelievable years later and we celebrated him at Carrabba's Italian Grill.  I am very proud of him and so pleased we have such great relationship.  I have had the honor to watch this precious, tiny baby grow into a strong, handsome, man of God. I could not love him more.

AJ almost 19 and Jesse 2

No comments:

Post a Comment