Friday, January 27, 2012

Yummies

Herb Popover



Wednesday I made Popovers for the very first time.  I had my first one a few years back when I had lunch with Irene at the Seven Stone Step pub.  They taste and feel like they would be hard to make.  But in reality it would be hard pressed to be any easier.  I mixed them up and baked them in a muffin tin...I know I squealed like a 13 year old girl when I opened the door and they were popped and perfect. For supper that night we filled them with ham salad and served them with soup.
Tonight is movie night so I thought I would bake some more of these delicate treasures and fill them with vanilla pudding and a drizzle of chocolate.  Sounds delicious...home made cream puffs.

Three layers of homemade lemon cake, filled with rich lemon curd and covered in fresh meringue browned to perfection


Yesterday I tried a new cake recipe.  My friend Kara wanted a Lemon Meringue cake for her husbands birthday.  Believe it or not I have never made Meringue...yes, another delighted squeal when I opened my mixer and saw a batch of perfectly whipped meringue. Everything about the cake worked nearly perfectly.  I had a crumble problem with one of the layers.

Photo courtesy of Kara Nutt


My next project will be Meringue cookies!

2 comments:

  1. y'all should send some of those puff things to Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure how well they travel...

    ReplyDelete