Thursday, September 1, 2011

Double Standard



It is known that we as Christians will be hated by the world.  When we opened our hearts to God and accepted Jesus as our personal Savior we must have turn neon blue because everybody seems to have their eyes on us, just waiting for a mistake and celebrate in our failure. It seems to be a passion for some to judge our behavior as unchristian like.
If a unfortunately a Christian stumbles and was unfaithful in her marriage one may hear "She has an affair? but how could she? She is a Christian" verses a non Christian in the same situation "She had an affair? Poor thing, she is just in a bad marriage".
"Those kids picked on my children but they are suppose to be Christians." but  for the world "those kids picked on my kids? Oh well kids will be kids."
"That church didn't kiss my feet when I visited. They are so unchristian, I'll never go to church again." Flip side-"That club didn't make me feel welcome. Guess I'll have  to keep looking till I find a fit."
The sad part is it is not only the world that uses this measuring stick. We, as Followers of Christ are under so much observance to find a flaw from the world. Like that is not enough pressure, to have to take it from other Christians as well.
If you believe in Jesus and have accepted Him as your Savior you are a Christian. Yes, we are to strive to live by high standards. No, it is not always easy.  What people have seemed to forgotten is Christians are still human. We love God and we live under grace, but we are not bullet proof and we were not given a magic potion that would keep us from making mistakes.
We are told in the Bible that we will be hated by the world.  It also tells us we are to love our brothers and sisters and leave the judgement to God. There are times that our church leaders have to make judgements of situations. They have been placed in a position of authrity and they are responsible for looking after the church. Don't think for one moment that it is easy for them or they take any kind of joy in seeing a fellow member fall.
I have been guilty myself. It pains me to say so, but it is true. I am so sorry for offenses I let fester under my skin. Allowing myself to listen to the enemy, I have become selfish, complacent and down right feasting with the swine.  I have people around me that love me and have been my touch stones.  A couple of sisters in our church saw things they knew was ungodly and tried to stear me away, I took it as judgement and condemnation, not love and concern which is what it was.  I have complained to friends about certain church members and how bad they made me feel. How I don't belong. I was so far gone I couldn't have seen the truth if an angel came down and sang it to me in a hymn.  I myself have fallen more times than I have stood. I do thank God for Grace.
I do see the world of believers with a slightly different point of view today.Our brothers and sisters are not limited to our church.  Any believer in Christ is your family.  Do you have to like every member of the family? Of course not. Dou you like everyone you are kin to? Seriously. It doesn't matter what the denomination,  Like or dislike Jesus connects us. Yes, there will be times where we are rubbed the wrong way, but maybe we should stop and concider what is the cause of the friction, it can't aways be the other person.  I think the point of this post is like them or love them they are part of you and you are a part of them and we are all part of Christ. If you are hording unforgiveness or judgement, get to the root of it, go to the person if you need to and get on with living. I know now, no matter how much I want to be, I cannot be everyone's best friend, but I can love them regardless of how deep our friendship is.I can worship with the whole body and hang out with the other "toes".  It is time to get our eyes off each other and look up! It is about Him and not us anyway!

This Sunday I am plan Baptized  for the second time. Not that I don't believe once was enough, but to publically confess my love for Jesus and as an outward show of my new walk with him.  Also as a new start. After 7 or so years with this particular church body,  I think it is time to fully plant myself here. My baptism  will mark my new dedicated life in the family of Resurrection Life Fellowship.

No comments:

Post a Comment