Friday, July 15, 2011

Learning the Respect for Nature

Sadly the babies will never hatch


I haven't been a country girl very long.  Although I have been in CNY a total of 11 years, I have not fully enjoyed what the slow country life brings.  Last year I tried to use my raised bed to garden vegetables.  Since store bought top soil didn't work very well, I decided to fill it with dirt harvested from our woods.  Unfortunatly I disturbed a nest of moles.  Their mother abandoned them and sometime in the next few days I unearthed dead babies.  I was heart broken. Today I found a (what I believe to be) a robins nest in the dried up English Ivy that I had removed from the house about a month ago.  I was about to put the Ivy in a bonfire when I noticed the nest.  Inside the nest was four tiny eggs.  Again my heart aches for destroying the nest and what would have been babies.  I wicked them and all I saw was yoke, but that is little comfort.
Although both instances was unintentional I have hope to be much more careful of the wildlife around me. Including the bear spotted in our yard last week, coyotes we hear at night,  the beautiful birds that grace my gardens, turkeys, pheasants, squirrels, rabbits and pack deer that pass thorough our woods daily.  I love my life and I want to be respectful and caring of the creatures I share it with.

Black bear visiting us on his way through Morrisville

No comments:

Post a Comment