Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Appearnces

Brazilian Chocolate cake with cherry filling and dark chocolate glaze. Handmade Gum Paste flowers and leaves.

To look at this cake no one would even guess the amount of hours I have invested in creating it.  One of my dearest friends is from Brazil.  In Brazil they don't use the mounds of frosting that we do here in America. For her birthday cake I found a Brazilian Chocolate Cake recipe that accompanied a glaze instead of frosting. 
As anyone who has ever baked a cake from scratch knows, you must be precise in the measurements.  Failure can happen with the slighted diversion.  Fortunately I did it right the first time.  The cake took an hour to bake, the glaze took over an hour to cool and the hand made gum paste flowers, well let's just say it took a lot of time and patience  I'm stepping back, looking at this decadent chocolate cake thinking "what could I have done differently?  How could I have made the flowers mesh together better?  I should have made budding roses and daisies as well as the full blossom and  I want to learn to make baby's breath for a filler....but all in all not bad for a first try.
I guess the the proof of success of failure will be proven on the fork.  Just like people, the cake can look pretty from the outside, but what is inside is what really matters.  The Bible says we are the salt of the earth, but useless if we lose our flavor.  I feel these are questions we should all ask ourselves daily.  If someone took a look inside of me, does my heart match what is seen on the surface? Does my life have flavor or is it just covered up in pretty decorations?  We all have our days, but I truly hope I have more days where I am attractive on the inside and that shows on the outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment