Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Potty, Puberty and Parting


Last Fall at Beak N Skiff
The last week has been incredible.  I am busy, almost too busy.  But I thrive in business.  I tend to let myself go and sometimes walk into mischief when I get bored.  Last weekend AJ was home from Elim.  It is a horribly long drive with a little boy strapped in a car seat.  I do what I can to help him stay occupied and satisfied, but Jesse had a really bad meltdown on the way home. 
Being a short visit I didn't get enough time in with my eldest.  I didn't know he had planned to come home 2 weekends in a row. I had already accepted and invitation  to meet with one of my closest friends, Paula for her birthday. 
I cried like a baby when he left Sunday afternoon and had mini meltdowns throughout the night.  I knew parting with my son would be difficult, but I really didn't expect it to feel quite like this.  My husband and I raised a good boy and he has grown into an excellent young man.  Although it really hurts to see him go, it is a blessing to know he is pursing his dreams and his dreams are God's call on his life.  He will be home again for a long weekend on Friday. 
I have been very sick the last couple days.  My 13 year old son, Wyatt has done what he could to help out.  Getting me Advil and Sudafed ever 4 hours or so and helping out with Jesse.  He is a good and generous young man.  Much like his older brother in  the kindness category, but Wyatt is definitely his own person.  He is funny and witty as his father and can be the life of the party when he is comfortable.  He is a bit shy at church, never wanting to go up for prayer or do anything to bring attention to himself.  I know the Lord has his hand on my "middle" child. He loves younger children and has compassion beyond measure. He drives me crazy leaving his clothes wherever he takes them off, wet towels in the floor and  dishes in the living room.  Then he surprises me with little things like taking time to fill the sugar bowl and starting the morning coffee.  He'll even change a messy diaper without complaint if I am not home to do it.  He adores both older and younger brothers. 

Jesse summer 2011
Jesse. What can be said about Jesse? My unexpected, midlife blessing strait from heaven.  He gives me almost as many headaches as he does joy.  He is 2 years and nine months old, I think a little tall for his age and incredibly handsome.  He takes after his dad's side of the family far more than the other boys, but I can see some of my blood in him too.  He is my constant companion and he adores me.  We started potty training  last Thursday and he is doing excellent.  Pleasantly surprising me as we go along.  He, at times, just goes by himself and demands I come to see his achievement and give him his sticker for his progress chart.  He is loving and stubborn, just like his older brother Wyatt he is a massive sugar freak and it is sometimes hard to get him to eat anything with nutritional value.  Being 45 with a young child is not where I saw myself when I planned for my future.  After the breast cancer diagnosis I wasn't even sure I would be 45.  My forty-sixth birthday is coming into view and I am cancer free and abundantly blessed.


I have a full and beautiful life.  I have a husband that I have loved since I was 18 and still hopelessly in love with. Three amazing children. I am close to my siblings even 1000 miles apart. I have an incredible church family, Pastors that are passionate about Christ, has integrity beyond words and loving toward their flock.  My three closest friends Irene, Paula and Keri keep me sane and entertained.  I have done nothing to deserve God's compassion and grace.  If anything I have made choices that should have had me punished, not blessed.  It is a great thing I did not receive what I deserved or my life would have been tragic.  I cannot imagine my life without Doug or our children I am so grateful for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment