Sunday, July 1, 2012

My Own Little World




I think I have spent more time outdoors  this summer than I have in the last few years combined.  I have fallen in love with our land and the wonders (and dangers) it holds.  I always knew we had wildlife all around us, but I didn't realize the diversity of it all.  Last night I found the perpetrator of my hen house.  He is a masked bandit...cute as the dickens, but very destructive and deadly to my hens. Friday night he finished off Lou Lou.  Heartbreaking as that loss was I have learned more of how to protect my remaining three girls.  Right now their safety is my biggest concern.
I brought them in the house last night.  They did okay all together in a dog crate.  Today, I must dig around the hen house, put in a heavier fencing to keep the predator out and place dirt and stones around the base of the fence.  Make sure everything is super secure so that his little fingers can't pull apart the barrier or dig under it.  

Bird feeder has to be moved to the front yard.  No food or garbage left near the house.  All feed in air tight containers...hopefully it will just give up and go away...and not find my garden or raspberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment