Thursday, June 28, 2012

Woes of Country Living




Apparently I have more predators in my woods than I imagined.  I have lost Bennett and Little Red a few weeks ago.  My best friend, Irene, gave me two little black hens. I dubbed them Alice and Andi but the same night I brought them home they escaped the coupe and one was believes to have been eaten and the other I found the next morning and was gang beaten by my other five hens as soon as I put her in the pen.  She was returned to Irene's barn and I hope she is alive and well.  Yesterday Abby disappeared and this morning I found Lou Lou injured by something inside the coupe.  The attacks multiplying and now in daylight as well as inside their pen had me concerned for the well being of my tiny flock.  I cannot just wait and let them be picked off one by one.  I spent the afternoon moving and securing the chicken house (little tykes playhouse) in our back yard as far away from the house as possible and still be in the fenced area....
My hope is that whatever is enjoying my birds will be to afraid to come this close to the house.  I will close them up in their house at night.  If push come to shove I will give away Marcella, Helen, Lois and Lou Lou if she survives.
______________________________________________________________

I think Lou Lou will live...I plan to bandage her up and let her go back with the others tomorrow... Marcella is among the missing....Praying she will show up tomorrow...somehow I have my doubts.

No comments:

Post a Comment