Tuesday, June 5, 2012

US Army


Good Luck Alec...I am so proud of you...


One of my closest friend's younger son left Syracuse this morning for the Army.  Paula was my first friend in NY and I have known Alec since he was 7.  Even  though he is about 15 months AJ's junior, the boys shared many good times together and for years I had Alec here for day visits as well as sleepovers.  He has always been mischievous and adventurous.  I still have remainders of forts built by Alec in our woods.  I cannot count the times I had to scold him for using fire crackers while Doug was sleeping and he has been known to bring over a homemade grenade.  I learned the hard way to shake him down upon arrival.  The hours spent with AJ (and Wyatt tagging along) playing GI Joe action figures and toy guns scattered all over the yard or house depending on the weather are priceless. I find memories of Alec extremely entertaining.  If anyone was born for the Army it was him. The past few years he has gotten into a little bit of trouble.  Seeing him join  the military is bitter sweet.  Of course as a second mom I worry about his safety, but at the same time grateful he is taking control of his future....
This weekend Irene and I are meeting Paula for dinner.  I evening of girl time to comfort a friend that has  another child leaving the nest.  I know how hard it was for me to see AJ off to college....I cannot imagine seeing a plane leave for Oklahoma carrying my baby to the Army....Irene and I will see her through this tough transition.

No comments:

Post a Comment