Monday, March 26, 2012

Staying Together




A very close friend has filed for divorce. Like me, she married young.  I have been pondering if that is a common reason for a failed marriage?  Researches are saying that the human brain is not fully matured until the mid twenties...according to this, Doug and I were married before our brains had reached full maturity (explains a lot).  I know when someone is so young there are major personal changes that will occur in the first decade of marriage.  Of course everyone, no matter the age, changes throughout life, but I believe it is not as much as a drastic change as in the early years of adulthood.  I also believe that being wed to someone significantly older adds to the challenge .  When one person is fully mature and the other is not, well it seems that they would naturally take "command of the ship." Maybe even in a sense a nurturer to the younger partner.
Reading these statistics makes me realize that Doug and I are one of the exceptions to the rules.  One of the reasons may be that Doug was only 21 on our wedding day.  We pretty much grew up together.  It also helps that he is such and easy going person, even though there are times he has had the final say in certain decisions he has never tried to "own" me or dictate our life.  We have had our rough patches and there was a time, before AJ, that it seemed we would not make it. Thankfully we did. I contribute most of the success to him. He never gave up on me even when I gave him every reason to.  He is a great example of unconditional love.

No comments:

Post a Comment