Friday, December 23, 2011

CHRISTmas

From the motion picture The Nativity


After last Christmas looking at the mound of wrapping paper, empty boxes and abandoned tree I felt sick.  I told my husband, Doug, that nothing we did had anything to do with Christ. I planned to do better through out the year and to turn the celebration back to where it belonged.  I was not raised with "Jesus" as the reason for the season, even though mother did try to sprinkle in some of the Christian side of Christmas. She was raised in a Southern Baptist home.  She had knowledge of Christ, but during our childhood she was not a Christian. Christmas was the one day she was allowed to really give to us kids. So I grew up in a Santa home...which was fun and I loved her for making Christmas special.  She was an awesome mom.

For the past 18 Christmases, even though I have given my life to Christ, have been very commercial in my celebration.  Spending as much money was available to spoil the kids and had very little if anything to do with the greatest gift ever given to mankind, our Savior.  This year, I was determined to make a difference without sacrificing our children's blessing.  I didn't plan to put up a tree (what does a tree have to do with Jesus birth?) but my youngest boy, Jesse, asked daily about when would we get a tree.  I figure no harm in decorations. This year me and the younger boys made most of the decorations and I left the Star Wars ornaments in storage. Yes, there are gifts. Far less was spent this year.  I think four to unwrap from Mom and Dad, one from the brothers, and one that Santa will deliver.  Money restrictions lessened what was given to my sister and her family and my brother.  A gift for my parents in law, baked treats for some of Doug's family and my friends. 

Christmas 2011 gifts for Doug and the Boys as well as the ones sent from Georgia


I did notice even with my desire to make Christ the center of our celebrations I have somewhat failed.  I have done better that the previous years, but my Savior is still not the center of the celebration.   I am working against the tide of the world and the media to try to focus on Christ. Daily I talk to Jesse about Jesus.  He is not quite three, so I am trying to tell him without confusion...who he is and what Christmas is about, keeping it simple.
Sunday morning after receiving their gift, we will have a Happy Birthday Breakfast for Jesus and focus our time on Him and a family.  I am sure we will have plenty of laughs as we always do when we share a meal. We plan to go to services and then over to see Doug's parents and back home to unwrap gifts and have a nice supper.
My friend Keri and I went shopping together on Monday and she treated me to lunch.  We had such a fun time. She came by yesterday and brought some gifts for us.  I made her and her mom some banana bread and muffins and when I see her today I hope to have her Christmas cookies ready.
Tonight I am going out with some other friends.  It was last minute, but since Doug is off tonight, Paula, Irene and I plan to meet at the Mall and have supper at TGI Friday's. I am bringing red velvet cupcakes for dessert. Afterwards just hang out and enjoy some girl time.
As my commitment to the Lord grows I am hoping more traditional celebrations will follow the months ahead.  Easter will be upon us sooner than expected and in a blink I will be writing about Christmas again.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment